FREE CASE EVALUATION | 1-800-286-8097

Filing A Personal Injury Claim For Motor Vehicle Accidents

Whether you live in Airdrie, or any other Central Alberta community, getting into a motor vehicle accident can have devastating consequences. In Alberta Province, the government agency responsible for maintaining accident statistics and trends is the Ministry of Transportation. According to their information, the most collisions occur during the evening rush hour when stop and go traffic has reached its peak.

If you or a loved one has recently sustained injuries in a motor vehicle accident in the above areas, you may be entitled to benefits through your auto insurance and by filing a personal injury claim for damages. With the help of an experienced personal injury lawyer in Airdrie, you have a better chance of getting both types of compensation instead of trying to do so on your own. They understand the nuances of the legal process and can help you navigate through the legal system better.

What are Auto Insurance Accident Benefits?

Under Section B of your auto insurance policy, you will find information regarding your accident benefits or no-fault benefits as they are often referred to. There are 3 types covered under Section B:

• medical benefits
• death and disability benefits
• benefits for accidents outside of Alberta

Medical benefits refer to all “reasonable expenses” (up to $50,000) associated with the treatment of your injuries. Furthermore, you must claim these benefits within 2 years from the date your accident occurred.

The term “reasonable expenses” refers to the costs of a broad range of treatments that are deemed necessary by your doctors and/or other healthcare providers. This usually includes traditional medical expenses such as:

• ambulance services
• hospital
• professional nursing
• psychological
• surgical

However, it may also include other healthcare or medical services such as acupuncture, chiropractic, massage therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy as well as other related rehabilitative treatment, supplies, and services. These services are limited to a fixed dollar amount such as:

• $250 for acupuncture
• $250 for massage therapy
• $750 for chiropractic treatment

Filing a Personal Injury or Tort Claim

In order to recover any out-of-pocket expenses not covered by your accident benefits as well as compensation for your pain and suffering, you must file a personal injury claim or tort claim. An experienced Alberta personal injury lawyer can assist you in filing a claim against the at-fault driver’s insurance company. When a judgment is made in your case and a settlement has been agreed upon, the amount of accident benefits paid out will be deducted from all damages that you are awarded in your claim. For more information, contact a personal injury lawyer at your convenience.